
I have recently been barreling unexpectedly through many Old Testament books. I don't think I have ever in my life read so many , so fervently. I am quite passionate about these testimonies and can't seem to put my bible down. I'm enthralled...
Most recently, I have completed a read-through of 1 and 2 Samuel. I am quite sure Hollywood could make some pretty action-packed, macho-man movies based on these plots that include SO much war, violence, vengeance and masculine-ego issues. I think American (and I guess Canadian) boys would get a kick out of it. Anyways, although the bloodshed and gore kept me on the edge of my seat, I continued to be enlightened by the many mentions of a God trying so hard to preserve the frail hearts of His beloved people.
It is the pure in heart and soul that our God scans the earth to find and use for His glory. It has never been muscle, nobility, beauty, eloquence or talent, just a heart that can look inward and know they need God. I was blown away by the many times King David deeply mourned the death of his enemies who were trying to kill him. He loved people so fiercely. I was sickened by the King's many sins, yet drawn in by his repentant, convicted heart that even asked God for His punishment when he stumbled. The pure in heart may wander and float, but they always and frequently return, only to throw down their faces at the feet of their Father-God. That, my friends, is how transformation begins to unfurl and awaken.
One of my favourite verses is found in 2 Samuel 23:2-4
"The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: 'When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God, he is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings grass from the earth.' "
David tried to be this. Absalom would slaughter for it. Solomon seemed destined for it. Yet... we know the True Righteous Ruler.
Dear Jesus,
You are the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless day...
Your blood, the rain.
And your children cannot stop flourishing...
The fields of this earth are shimmering with the greenest, most resilient grass.
Your sing over us and we dance in Your wind-song.
You let us touch the tips of Your brightness, and we are healed.
Wonderful post babe! Keep 'em coming! You're compelling me to read more OT! =)) <3
ReplyDelete