![]() | ||
| Before Jess left we found this wonderfully GIANT asparagus outside of Harvest Chapel. We had a fun time making him a face and giving him a name, ASPARA GUY! |
Anyways...
Right before Jess left, Martin decided to take us kids (Pat, Naomi, Jess and I) to Iwate Prefecture to give Jess a taste of 'ground zero'...It was such an incredible, God-glorifying experience because we got to help clean up the newly renovated "Ippo Ippo" (step by step) Cafe which will surely be a Light in the midst of so much destruction... We were literally surrounded by flat foundations where hundreds of houses and buildings used to be. The Cafe stood out as a beacon of hope, promise and future for Iwate, contrasting the bleak scene around us. The Coffee shop will be used as a place where people can learn about God's word through Christian literature, while in a positive atmosphere that makes people feel comfortable and welcomed. Pray for angels to surround and dwell within these precious, fragile walls that are still so new, so unused. Pray for God's glory to swell, burst and flow out of this foundation built on Christ that stands so alone, surrounded by empty souls. Pray that this building will change the world for Jesus...
While cleaning up shards of glass and nails that surrounded the property, we also found some very ordinary yet heart-wrenching objects that used to belong to people...
| IPPO IPPO! |
| Getting ready to put up the bright, encouraging, Ippo Ippo sign |
| Pat and I standing next to the ocean on our way to meet up with Micah in Ofunato, a nearby town also devasted by the tsunami. |
Last Wednesday we said a very tearful 'goodbye' to our amazing friend Jess as she made her way back to Ontario. The same day we said a happy 'hello' to the 11 members of the Tyndale Music Team who are currently staying at Ippo Ippo in Iwate until Friday. They are such a lively, talented bunch who I am excited to get to know better! Ruth JUST got back today from Alaska, after having to quickly change her plans when her father suddenly passed away....
It has been eye-opening and challenging observing the ways the Ghents so amazingly change their plans, tasks, schedules and LIVES in order to bless and serve all the different types of groups and individuals who come to share life with them. I have had my share of 'getting out of my comfort zone' since I had to take on a lot of Ruth's roles while she was unexpectedly away. This included organizing cooking for all 15 of us... That is quite DAUNTING for a chick like me who usually doesn't cook at all. Yet, God (and the music team) have been SO loving, encouraging and supportive as I have taken on new tasks and stretched a little here and there... SMILE!
* * * * *
My Jesus,
Thank You for painful goodbyes, because they make you stop, appreciate, reflect, look back and see that You love us enough to let us experience moments and people so beautiful that it hurts to leave.
Thank You for the unknown; for the future too far ahead that we can't even plan it out. Thank you that we don't know what is around the next bend, what is over the daunting mountain, what gets left behind after the dust settles...
Thank You that You love us enough to use our self-created discomfort, inadequacy, failure, weakness, fragility and brokenness to make us run to the only place that gives us any real value: Your Scarred Body, Your Family...
I don't always get it, but I love You Jesus, and I know You love me too...




=)))) I want that ice cream =D! 0_0! LOL Amazing photos Jess =)! I miss you guys terribly! Looking forward to seeing you soon =))!!
ReplyDeleteaww thanks natey boy! :) cannot wait to see you brobro!!!!!!
DeleteGreat to see a picture of you and Patty!!! :) Beautiful pic!
ReplyDeleteThanks Steph! It was beautiful...
DeleteWow Hun, what an awesome post! I can't wait to see you back here showing us all that God has revealed to you! Finish strong my lil' kitten! <3
ReplyDeletelast Monday, ODB had the following words: Goodbyes are the law of earth; reunions are the law of heaven. thought of sharing :) Keep fighting the good fight of the faith, Jess. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Tim. 6:12)
ReplyDelete